Skip to content

ChEnected Post: The Credibility Threshold

January 27, 2011

This post was written for ChEnected.  That (slightly modified) version can be found here.

Being the youngest attendee (by about 10 years) at a recent conference meant that I spent a considerable amount of time observing the interactions between the more experienced engineers and businessmen.  As with many social interactions, there seems to be a formula for such discussions:
  1. Exchange pleasantries, handshakes & (if appropriate) business cards.
  2. Ask where the other person is based or “where that accent is from.”
  3. Share a story of working in the discussed location.
  4. Discuss the business environment and developments in one of the locations.
  5. Eventually get around to asking what one another do.
  6. Acknowledge that your organization needs their offering, can fill their need or has similar technical interests.
  7. Make agreements to contact the other person to maintain a business contact, acquire their services, or provide them your own.
  8. Shake hands, and move away with a slight nod.

The interesting thing for me was noting that, in order to discuss the business you are both there to discuss, you must first (a) indicate how experienced you are, and (b) show that you understand the industry. If you can’t satisfy these steps, then you end up stumped at Step 2, which is inevitably followed by an awkward excuse, a gentle nod and a quick exit.  The take home message here is that some reactions only go one way:

Tell me why I should listen to you, then tell me what you have to say.

We hear all the time about the importance of market knowledge and experience, so I got thinking about a business barrier I now refer to as The Credibility Threshold. Enter the activation energy graph that all chemical engineers know and love:

Generic potential energy diagram showing the e...

Input enough energy (Ea) and your reaction can proceed, but don’t put enough in, or try to go directly to the payload (that’d be the equivalent of only adding the delta H energy value) and pfft…  nothing.  Without sufficient energy input no bond can be formed, no product produced, and no (pardon the cheese) chemistry occurs.

But now replace our activation energy with activation credibility, and the interaction recipe above makes a little more sense.  We need to put enough energy into the relationship before it is going to produce the end product we are seeking.  If we try to jump straight to the payload discussion of what we can offer each other, then, again, pfft…  nothing.  Stumped at Step 2.

In short this means that we need to ‘talk the talk’ in order to network effectively.

Engineering information can come through many channels (for entry-level professionals this is often through our professional certification bodies), but for more industry-specific knowledge we may need to be more creative.  Here are some of the methods I use to keep up-to-date:

• Going to local seminars through Engineers Australia and IChemE;
  • Taking advantage of conversations with my colleagues and bosses who see different aspects of projects, have more experience, etc.;
  • Reading industry RSS feeds on my daily commute (if you have a smartphone, then I recommend NewsRoom);
  • Following Twitter users who post interesting industry information (e.g. I follow a number of oil companies, energy news outlets and Chem Eng related posters);
  • Reading industry publications (e.g. for O&G the SPE, Oil & Gas Journal or Offshore Mag publications are a good place to start); and
  • Staying in contact with previous colleagues (through lunches, phone calls, e-mails and LinkedIn – preferably in that order).

I’m the first one to admit that this takes some effort, but I’ve seen the payoff of breaking through that credibility threshold.  It opens up opportunities to discuss interesting information, make business contacts or build good industry relationships.

Oh, and see how the use of a catalyst means that less energy is required in the activation energy graph?  Maybe a future post will talk about how having a good mentor or champion to be your catalyst can make the credibility threshold just a little easier to break through.

Lego people courtesy bucklava on Flickr; Activation energy plot courtesy Wikimedia.

This post was written for .

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

15 Comments leave one →
  1. Eowyn permalink
    January 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Love this. What a perfect analogy :D

• January 28, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks, Eowyn! I love it when communication and nerdiness can compliment each other ;-).

2. February 2, 2011 2:10 am

Good insights and post, Aurian. Love your adaptation of the energy activation chart.

The “credibility” factor is key to ultimately engaging someone to work with or for us. My take is that in the absence of personal knowledge (eg: I worked with this person for some period…) we resort to others’ knowledge (the referral) and ultimately the “brand” — which might be a company brand, an educational institution, etc.

This is come of the stuff I blog about at my site (http://timragan.wordpress.com) as it specifically relates to career management (www.ccinternational.ca).

Regards,
    Tim

• February 2, 2011 9:16 am

Thanks so much for stopping by, Tim, and a huge thanks for featuring my idea on your blog!

There are so many contributing factors for credibility, and you are right that affiliation (to yourself, someone you know or a brand you ‘trust’) can all be instrumental in developing a level of understanding regarding someone’s intellectual context.

The thing I constantly have to remind myself is that affiliation isn’t everything, and re-evaluation of the mental context I’ve built for someone, as a result of their affiliations, is critical (I write about that here: http://bit.ly/gynkRY).

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts, and I’ll be watching to see what else you come out with!

3. November 15, 2013 4:01 am

Good day! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted
    to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading through your posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same
    topics? Thanks for your time!

4. November 28, 2013 4:35 pm

It’s a genuine remedy for infertility concerns.

5. January 17, 2014 1:43 am

We are a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your site offered us with valuable information to work on. You’ve performed
    a formidable job and our entire neighborhood will be thankful to you.

6. March 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening. I appreciate you spending some
    time and energy to put this information together.
    I once again find myself spending a significant amount of
    time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

7. May 4, 2014 9:20 am

I am sure this post has touched all the internet visitors,
    its really really pleasant post on building up new blog.

8. May 9, 2014 8:01 pm

After I originally commented I appear to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is
    added I receive four emails with the same comment. There has to be a means you can remove me from that
    service? Thank you!

9. May 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i
    thought i could also make comment due to this good article.

10. May 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Je vais te dire que ce n’est pas absurde …

11. May 26, 2014 3:31 pm

What’s up mates, how is everything, and what you wish for to say about this article, in my view its really amazing in favor of me.

12. July 25, 2014 6:28 am

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have remember your stuff prior to and you are just too excellent.
    I really like what you’ve got right here, really
    like what you’re saying and the best way by
    which you assert it. You make it enjoyable and you
    continue to care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read
    much more from you. That is actually a terrific web site.

Trackbacks